New Zealand ICM Capture to Print Retreat
14-17 October 2022
a collaboration between Lesley Whyte and Stephanie Johnson
in association with Women in Photography and ICM Photography Magazine
Sign Up on the Women in Photography Website
ICM Capture to Print Retreat
Come join Lesley and Stephanie on our inaugural annual ICM Capture to Print Photography Retreat which this year is based at Lake Ohau Quarters nestled at the head of Lake Ohau with spectacular views of the Barrier range and Mount Sutton on the western side of Lake Ōhau, and Ben Ohau range which dominates the eastern side of Lake Ōhau.
This four day workshop retreat focuses on landscape as the medium for you to learn how to create ICM images using a variety of ICM techniques and styles. You will be drawing inspiration from being based at Lake Ohau Station and Twizel, Templeton Steam, Templeton Bridge, Burnett Mountains and Lake Tekapo.
- Return coach transport ex Christchurch
- Two hour pre-tour zoom workshop to meet Stephanie & Lesley plus get to understand the basics of ICM
- Photograph the intense light blue of the snow fed Lake Tekapo
- Helicopter flight in the Mt Cook region to land at “Gorilla” landing site on the Burnett Mountains with 45 minute land time (weather permitting)
- Ice fed waters of Templeton Stream, Templeton Bridge and river boulders plus Twizel landscapes
- One of your photos printed in A3 and packaged for you to take home
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Two weeks prior to this 4-day retreat, we hold a 2 hour ICM zoom workshop where you’ll get to understand the basics of ICM. Stephanie will also take you through ICM and provide you insights into what will be covered over the four days
- Prior to heading out for each photography field trip, we hold discussion sessions which cover equipment required, camera settings and technique, plus we provide hands on coaching in the field
- Daily photo review sessions including Lightroom & Photoshop
- Workshop on preparation of your chosen photo for print
- Dedicated ICM photography mentoring
- Quick Reference Card for ICM
- This workshop is suitable for beginners through to advanced photographers. For this photography retreat, we do although recommend before attending that you know how to change your ISO, aperture & shutter speed.
Friday – Meet Stephanie and Lesley at Airport Gateway Motel in Christchurch for an 8.30am departure
- Drive to Lake Ohau Quarters
- ICM workshop at Lake Ohau Quarters to prepare you for our first ICM photography session
- Lunch & dinner
- Nibbles & drinks after dinner
Saturday & Sunday
- ICM workshops
- Print workshop
- Snow capped mountain ICM workshop including helicopter flight with 45 minute land time
- Twizel, Templeton Stream & Templeton Bridge and landscape ICM workshops
- Sunrise and sunset ICM workshops
- Lake Ohau Station ICM workshops
- Breakfast, lunch & dinner
- Nibbles & drinks after dinner
Monday – It’s our final day, so let’s capture another sunrise before packing up and head to Lake Tekapo
- Breakfast and lunch
- We plan to arrive back in Christchurch around 5.00pm with drop off Airport Gateway Motel.
- Return mini coach transfer Christchurch
- Women in Photography face mask to wear at places that require masks to be worn
- Shared luxury bunk rooms at Lake Ohau Quarters. Limited own room available at additional cost
- Expert, professional and of course amazingly friendly coaching from ICM mentor Stephanie and Women in Photography’s mentor Lesley
- Women in Photography A5 photo diary with quick reference cards for all the photography genres covered including ICM plus a Women in Photography pen
- How to capture absolutely awesomely gorgeous ICM images
- Understanding how to prepare your image for printing
- Printed image of your choice in A3 and packaged for you to take home
- Hands on coaching on composition to enable you to create inspiring images
- Mentoring to enable you to become comfortable at working in manual; mastering the exposure triangle
- Expert advice on how to manage your images in Lightroom and Photoshop
- Invitation to join Women in Photography’s FaceBook Alumni group
- Cooked breakfast Saturday, Sunday & Monday, lunch Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday and two course dinner with wines Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Drinks & nibbles after dinner.
EQUIPMENT & CLOTHING:
Please check this list of what to pack – click here
LEVEL OF FITNESS:
- A general level of fitness is required to carry your camera backpack up small, steep and narrow paths and walking on unstable land.
- Walking on rocks is also likely plus walking at night in unlit areas.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Return flights to Christchurch
- Morning and afternoon teas although tea and coffee is provided at Lake Ohau Quarters
- Travel insurance – it is strongly recommended that you take out travel insurance
- Accommodation and meals Thursday night prior and Monday night post tour staying at Airport Gateway Motel in Christchurch – these can be arranged for an additional $400 per person share twin.
HOW TO BOOK:
- Maximum number of attendees is 11
- Activity is weather dependent and sequence of photographic opportunity may vary
- Stephanie & Lesley are staying in Christchurch the night before and the night after, if you’d like to join them, this can be arranged at an additional cost of $400 per person share twin.
Women in Photography has the necessary protocols in place to operate under the Covid-19 Protection Framework red, amber and green levels. For your safety, that of your fellow passengers and those leading leading Women in Photography’s events, we are have robust processes in place to ensure that we can operate safely at red, amber and green levels of the COVID-19 Protection Framework. Click here to know more about this policy and the requirements of you as an attendee.